bookwookiee

Atonement
Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

Apps for Librarians: Using the Best Mobile Technology to Educate, Create, and Engage - Nicole Hennig If apps are totally new to you and you feel overwhelmed with where to begin, this will be a very useful tool for you. It's clear and concise and breaks apps into various categories that are practical and easy to understand. While I didn't find much that I hadn't already come across through my own tinkering, I get how it would be useful to someone just getting started. The majority of this book felt to an introduction to apps for anyone - not just librarians - so in that sense I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for a little more on how to creatively use apps in your library or how to creatively promote apps for your patrons. Much of this just seemed like general use.

That said, I think this would be better suited as a website or blog, something that can be regularly updated. I had a feeling that would be the case, it usually is with these types of books. Of the handful of apps that I went to look at, most were already outdated or not at the listed URL. While it is nice to have a primer like this with apps covering a range of topics, as I read over each section I couldn't help but feel you'd find more useful results just by googling "best apps for [fill in the blank]", complete with user reviews. But again - even that can be overwhelming to someone just getting started, or they might not think to google an app for some of the categories listed in this book.

I did find the final chapters on performing your own analysis of apps helpful, it's something I'll keep in mind when recommending apps to patrons. It also reminded me to follow up on an email we got from LibraryThing about creating our personalized app, so thanks for that Nicole Hennig 8)