bookwookiee

Atonement
Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

A Cook's Journey to Japan: Fish Tales and Rice Paddies 100 Homestyle Recipes from Japanese Kitchens - Sarah Marx Feldner, Noboru Murata, Elizabeth Andoh This was the first Japanese cookbook I’ve ever bought and I’m definitely a beginner when it comes to the cuisine. And I LOVED it. It seriously has everything you want in a cookbook and is accessible enough for someone with novice skills to use (but with some recipes that are staples or complicated enough that those who are more advanced will like it too). The pictures are beautiful and it comes with a number of guides in the introductory section. It has tips and tricks, a detailed explanation of some of the basic equipment you’ll need, a breakdown of staple ingredients, and suggested menus. Even if I didn’t cook a single thing from this cookbook, it would be worth the price just to page through it.

Now - the main scoop. It’s broken down into 8 sections - Basics, Snacks & Salads, Soups, Rice & Noodles, Poultry & Meat, Seafood, Vegetables & Tofu, and Desserts & Drinks. Each recipe comes with detailed instructions and any special tips, notes, or required equipment. All in all, it’s easy to follow. My dishes didn’t look nearly as good as Sarah Marx Feldner’s, but then again - I’m new at this.