bookwookiee

Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

The Repurposed Library

The Repurposed Library - Lisa Occhipinti We're hosting a community day event in a few months so I turned to The Repurposed Library for inspiration. We have TONS of deselected books and knew we wanted to reuse them. Our theme is sustainability, so this seemed like a great way to approach the topic with our students. I know tearing books apart seems counter intuitive to a librarian's nature, but they're mostly outdated textbooks, some with highly questionable content. They aren't antiques, rare editions, valuable, or anywhere near as pretty as some of the books Occhipinti works with. So I don't feel bad about it. This way they'll actually get some use.

The Repurposed Library contains a collection of crafts for recycling, upcycling, and repurposing old books. Each project is nicely photographed and illustrated alongside detailed instructions. Occhipinti also provides tips and tricks for some basic procedures - mending broken spines, removing hardcovers, etc. The crafts range in terms of skill level and equipment needed, but everything is made accessible to the reader.

I only gave it 3 stars because it wasn't as extensive as I was hoping. Some of the crafts seemed like way more trouble than they were worth. I was looking for more ideas that didn't require other materials and/or tools - we need crafts that groups of people can realistically do in about an hour and don't have to resources to provide everyone with their own drill. Even more basic folding crafts would have been appreciated. I also couldn't picture a practical use for some of them. They were cool in theory, but ultimately would I want them around my house? Idk...but that's all a matter of taste. If you're determined and have the necessary tools handy, you might get more out of it than I did. It's definitely worth a look for some inspiration.