bookwookiee

Atonement
Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Delicious and Nutrient-Rich Dishes - Moosewood Collective I've heard a lot about the Moosewood cookbooks since I started on a more plant-based diet, but this is the first I've picked up. There were tons of tasty sounding recipes and I enjoyed the introductory sections on ingredients and definitions. Although I can already tell I'll be coming back to this and other Moosewood cookbooks in the future, I don't know that I'd recommend this for beginners. I think this is better suited to someone who is already used to cooking vegetarian and vegan dishes and has a base familiarity with the common ingredients and terminology. That said, I'll definitely be checking out their other cookbooks in the next few weeks while I decide which to buy. It might be a little out of our league now, but it's good to have something to work up to.

My main gripe with this is the lack of pictures. There are some, but not nearly enough, in my opinion. I will just never understand cookbooks that don't include pictures and it seems to be common in the vegetarian/vegan field in particular. I know it's better environmentally (and that's the whole point, isn't it?) but I am a visual creature and it plays a huge role when I'm deciding which recipes to try, especially when some of the terms are unfamiliar. However, I'm making a point of trying to read cookbooks without pictures like I would a menu at a restaurant. I don't want to throw out a great resource for something like that and I'm glad I gave Moosewood a chance.