bookwookiee

Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook - Terry Hope Romero, Isa Chandra Moskowitz Clearly, this is the vegan bible, and for good reason. But, I’m not rushing to buy it just yet. I'd heard so much about this cookbook - EVERY vegan I know recommended it - that I had unreasonably high expectations. So as I paged through it at my local bookshop, the text-on-text-on-text-on-text filled pages were a bit of a letdown. I put it back on the shelf and decided to check it out from the library instead, to give myself more time to peruse before I purchase. That's definitely the way to do it if you’re on the fence. The first 50 pages or so are filled with helpful information on what to buy, how to store it, how to prepare it, what equipment is needed, and what terminology you need to know.

It boasts of over 200 recipes, from snacks, to brunch, to entrees, to desserts. It also breaks into sections that feature a particular ingredient - vegetables, grains, bean, etc. For those planning a special event, there are even several suggested menus in the back. The vast majority of these recipes sound pretty tasty. BUT, the one problem I keep running into with veggie and vegan cookbooks rears its ugly head again: there are almost no pictures. There is a 16 page section in the middle of the cookbook with pictures, and they all look amazing. But for a cookbook with 200+ recipes, it’s hardly enough. I know it’s not the most important thing in the world, but if I can visualize a dish, there’s a much better chance that I’m going to want to make it. My final gripe (another problem I’m having with veggie and vegan cookbooks) is the lack of nutritional information. While having a plant-based diet certainly helps keep things on the healthy side, it’s still nice to have an idea of what the nutritional breakdown is.

I don’t think I’ll be buying this book...yet. It may be that I just need a year or so of veggie/vegan cooking under my belt before I’m ready for something this dense. If I bought it now, it would be more for the tips in the first 50 pages than the recipes. While I jotted down some notes, I think I’ll hold off for a while before adding it to my collection.