bookwookiee

Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook

Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook - Thug Kitchen,  LLC This cookbook has some some really tasty looking recipes and they're all beautifully photographed. Roasted sriracha cauliflower bites with peanut dipping sauce? Sweet potato, squash, and black bean enchiladas? Sign me up. There are also some great tips for beginners, pantry staples, and other tips on preparing a few vegan go-tos. There is no nutritional information included. Whoever did their graphic design did an amazing job. Serious overkill on the swearing (and I wasn't offended by that, just annoyed, it wasn't funny or clever), but the recipes looked pretty delicious.

So, why did I only give it 1 star? Well...the racial implications can't be ignored. "Thug" is definitely a contentious word these days and the images/vernacular they use throughout borrow (borrow is an overly generous term for it, some would argue) heavily from African American and Mexican American cultures. It seems very deliberate, very calculated. The authors themselves are conspicuously absent from the pages of the book, which implies that they know exactly what they're doing. So even if it wasn't malicious, I couldn't rate it highly on good conscience.