bookwookiee

Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth - Jules Feiffer, Norton Juster Sad Sack Milo comes home from school one day to find a mysterious tollbooth in his room with the tag, "For Milo, who has plenty of time". With nothing better to do (he does, indeed, have plenty of time) he decides to test it out. Riding through, he finds himself on a reluctant journey to save the princesses Rhyme and Reason who are somewhere in The Lands Beyond. His journey brings him through the Doldrums to the cities of Dictionopolis and Digitopolis, the Foothills of Confusion, the Valley of Sound, the Forest of Sight, and the Mountains of Ignorance. He meets a number of characters along the way - including his companion, the watchdog Tock (a regrettable misnomer, as Tock only ticks).

The Phantom Tollbooth is full of puns, humor, and witticisms that rank it right up there with the best childhood classics. Whenever someone asks me what my favorite book is (a question that I hate), I end up naming this one and I'm unashamed to do so. I really think it set the tone for my bookwormish tendencies at an early age. I'll probably read it again after writing this review just because I'm thinking about it now. It will never get old to me. READ IT.