bookwookiee

Ian McEwan
Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

Meatless: More Than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes

Meatless: More Than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes - Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Queen Martha! This is a beautiful cookbook and, after spending several hours drooling over each page, it's one that I'm eager to put to use. Every recipe is accompanied by an image and everything looks appetizing, even the dishes that feature an ingredient I can't stand. Each recipe is also accompanied by set of icons, indicating whether it's also v (vegan), g (gluten free), or s (special diet - no dairy, wheat, nuts, or soy).

The only thing I wasn't 100% thrilled with was the organization. I think it would be more helpful to have it organized according to seasonal ingredients rather than type of dish. It's a stylistic choice that others may prefer. For a book that revolves around cooking with fruits and vegetables, however, it would be useful if it were organized by season so one could plan their grocery shopping accordingly.

Otherwise, the book is exactly what you'd expect from Martha. Aesthetically pleasing, adventurous, yet also accessible. There are recipes here for beginning cooks and those who are already comfortable in the kitchen. She features a range of cuisines and offers plenty of interesting ingredient pairings. I also always appreciate the various cooking tips, measurement guides, and other extra features that she typically includes, this time was no exception.

PS - Martha, can I come work on your farm?

(I've never reviewed a cookbook before. I wasn't sure if it "counted" but it came up when I scanned it, so I'm going for it.)